Pinblock Epoxy Help

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun Oct 26 12:03 MST 1997

Roger,

   I really don't think the water got into the block much at all, if any.
It was mainly the tuning pin bushings which got most of the water. There
wasn't a lot, anyway. Just enough to rust some strings and discolor the
bushings.
   Your idea with the heat sounds good. One question, though. If the epoxy
runs like water and there aren't any cracks/crevices, will it still wick
into the wood enough to *glue size* the hole? Would CA glue maybe be
better in this case?

>Hi Avery,
>          Did the water reach the pin block area?   If so you may some
>pin block seperation. I have used epoxy (same brand) in the following
>manner with success. Step 1. Slacken off pin block jack. Step 2 Tape
>underside of block. Step 3. Apply a liberal amount of epoxy into the
>hole with hammer shank and hair drier the epoxy will run like water.
>Step 4 retighten jacks and redrive pin. Go for coffee.
>   You need to work quite quickly as the heating of the epoxy sets it up
>a lot faster, but it lowers the viscosity so that it can be squeazed
>into any cracks. Having the pin on the coil before you start is
>important. I'm sure this will work.
>Roger Jolly
>University of Saskachewan
>Dept of Music.