quick voicing poll

Fri Dec 4 14:15 MST 1998

Jeff,

"Without a heck of a lot of discussion...."

Well - OK.

If these are stock-from-the-factory hammers, no need to waste your
time with acetone.  Straight lacquer thinner, or the Alcohol/Water
you suggest should do the trick.  Steaming will not do for a long
term fix on these hammers.

If the hammers wind up too soft to begin with, one rather suspects
that 12 hours per day of Horrorwitz wannabees hammering out your choice
of repertoire should fix that problem, as well.

Cheers!

Horace

At 03:53 PM 12/4/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Without a heck of a lot of discussion, I'm interested in sort of a poll on
>the question of voicing some obnoxiously bright, offensively loud, hard as
>a rock, 4-year-old Baldwin "L" hammers in practice rooms for piano majors.
>(Needling was good for about 2 weeks, but I was sore after I got through
>with one)
>
>Acetone?  or Alcohol/Water?
>
>If you've had unwanted results/side effects with one or the other, I'd like
>to know that also.  Responding privately is fine.
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
>School of Music
>University of South Carolina