Agraffes

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 11 13:57 MDT 1999

List,

I have just encountered a Baldwin L with cat pee on the piano wire in the
mid-range. The urine has caused considerable rusting on the pin side of the
strings in this area, and strings are all ready starting to break. I plan to
restring the mid-range plain wire only, as the problem is confined to this
area, and I know the customer does not want to afford a complete
restringing. My question is this: should I replace all or some of the
agraffes (4 of them are polluted with crud), or should I clean and ream? If
cleaning is recommended, what would be the best thing to use? Thanks in
advance for input.

Mary Smith