Smoke damage

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@majesticpiano.com
Tue Mar 9 14:57 MST 1999

Ron,

This rebuilder is in error for several reasons.  First, as you have pointed
out, that the keys, felts, etc are in need of a different cleaning process
than that of the exterior finish.  Hammers for instance, serve as "natural"
wicks to the odor...rule of thumb...were there is residue, there is odor.
Despite the claims that odor isn't apparent intitially, doesn't make it so.
Give it a warm humid summer day, and wahlah, you will face the odor.

Second, washing down the outside still does not address the malodors
contained within the piano.  How are the strings?  The acidity of smoke
residue will, in many cases corrode the plain wire.  This piano needs
professional attention.

My suggestion would be contact me directly, as I would fill up too much
bandwidth replying to the misconceptions represented here.  You may reach me
here through e-mail:  dave@majesticpiano.com

Should have the opportunity to see the instrument first hand, visit my
website:  http://www.majesticpiano.com and print out the "smoke damage
assessment form", take it with you to the piano, fill it out and fax it.

We deal with technicians, insurance adjusters, and clients on a daily basis.
I'd be happy to help.

Talk with you soon,

Dave Swartz, RPT
IICRC Certified Odor Technician