Steinway D problem

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Thu May 6 10:38 MDT 1999

I have a 2 year old D that has a ringing damper problem that is trying my
patience! When F-5 is played, after releasing there is a harmonic given
off by F-2 which is the first note on the treble bridge. I've changed the
felt, to no avail. If I lightly touch any ONE of the 3 strings on either
side of the damper the problem stops. I've tried yarn in the tri-chord
felt, tipping the damper fore and aft, and side to side. I'm stumped! Any
advice? I'm rarely unable to make these disappear, but I've tried all my
tricks. What's a guy to do?

John Minor
University of Illinois