Steinway D problem

David Skolnik dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
Thu May 6 11:27 MDT 1999

John-

I've never taken the time to take the measurements which might explain why
I had this problem on one of my D's but not on others (at least to the same
extent), but I'll tell you what I did do.  It will most likely void
whatever warranty exists for that note.

I made a grand version of an "over-damper".  I drilled a small hole into
the front edge of the damper head and installed a piece of damper wire that
had been cut to length and shaped  to support a piece ( 5/8")of flat
damper felt.  I believe the distance from the front edge of the damper head
was 1" -2".    There might have been something else I missed, but this
worked.

Let us know.

At 11:38 AM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a 2 year old D that has a ringing damper problem that is trying my
>patience! When F-5 is played, after releasing there is a harmonic given
>off by F-2 which is the first note on the treble bridge. I've changed the
>felt, to no avail. If I lightly touch any ONE of the 3 strings on either
>side of the damper the problem stops. I've tried yarn in the tri-chord
>felt, tipping the damper fore and aft, and side to side. I'm stumped! Any
>advice? I'm rarely unable to make these disappear, but I've tried all my
>tricks. What's a guy to do?
>

>John Minor
>University of Illinois

David Skolnik, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Manhattan School of Music
212-749-2802,	Ext. 455 / 355 (Shop/Voicemail)
212-749-5471	FAX
dskolnik@msmnyc.edu