Steinway D problem

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri May 7 09:30 MDT 1999

John Minor wrote:

 What I have done is play F2 sharply, then after
> hearing the harmonic on F2 touched any ONE of the 3 strings to stop the
> ringing completely! It confuses the hell out of me too!

Hi John,
    Perhaps this is related to phasing.  When three strings are
vibrating in a certain way, it may alter the way the damper seats
causing bleeding of certain harmonics.  Damping often changes when the
una chorda is used for similar reason(s).  F2 damper has a very unstable
damper as the head weight is grossly unbalanced on one side of the wire.
 I've used the protruding damper felt idea with good results, though it
doesn't look nice.  For these reasons I have allowed it to protrude in
back, hidden under the brace without cutting it diagonally with the head
to improve this dampers balance.  I swab glue even on the area of felt
which will not be backed by wood to serve as a stiffener.  Such a damper
may be impossible to remove without mutilating the felt protruding under
the brace, but I don't remove them too often.
-Just a thought
-Mike Jorgensen