Horn troubles...or not?

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon May 24 21:18 MDT 1999

You bet! Plates have an astonishing amount of flexibility. Ever bounce on
a D plate or a B plate? the shorter pianos don't have quite as much flex
in them, but there's still flex. If you didn't see space between horn and
bolt when the piano was "at tension," turning the bolt out and then
restringing the piano might not be a good idea....OTOH, doing so might
inhibit the plate from bowing up in the center when it's at full tension.
Not sure that would be a bad thing to do.

When in doubt, I'd probably leave things as they are. Better safe than
sorry.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan		   "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music						--Jimmy Durante
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)