Drifting Unisons

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue Nov 2 10:28 MST 1999

I've been too busy to get to this until today. The problem of unisons
going out in response to humidity change is one that has puzzled me for
years. It is definitely there as a consistent problem. I note it to be
particularly extreme in the Yamaha G-2's under my care, but also to
varying degrees in just about all other pianos, including Steinway model
B and D. There is a consistent difference between left and right
strings, sometimes as much as 20 cents in mid to upper treble (Yamaha.
Steinway as much as 10 cents) after a change of 40 to 60 percent (over
the summer, with next to no use or tuning). Talk about wild unisons!
	I, too, initially thought it must be me, some fault in my technique,
but years of observation have convinced me otherwise. For example, a
Steinway D, over night, in response to a rise of 20 percent ambiant
humidity (a rain storm during a dry period) had almost all unisons,
tenor through mid treble, consistently out of tune about one cent
average. The right string had gone sharp, left flat, middle generally
right on. My general observation is that the right, or treble, string
almost always drifts farther than the middle or left strings, in
whatever direction the piano has moved.
	I thought the general wisdom about this being a result of relative
lengths of "waste lengths" (capo or agraffe to tuning pin) explained
this, until I noted there was little or no such effect between adjacent
unisons on a Steinway B (with the offset unison pattern in the
plate/block: greater difference in waste length between adjacent unisons
than between strings within any unison).
	I have no explanation, but simply want to confirm that this is a
commonly observed phenomenon (or at least it happens here in New
Mexico). My best guess is that it has something to do with bridge roll
combined with notching, more for lack of any other explanation than
because it actually seems plausible. Wild disparities at various breaks
- tenor, mid-treble - are also common. On the G-2's mentioned, often the
tenor break will be 40 cents sharp, this will decrease to about 20 cents
to the treble break, then the first note above that break will again be
in the 40 cent range. And the high treble is often flat. All this in
response to the summertime rise of 40 to 60 percent.
	Have to get back to raising all that pitch I spent so much effort
lowering a couple months ago. But it's the unisons that are driving
everyone nuts more than the pitch. (I decided it wasn't my tuning
technique to blame when I realized that my unisons would hold
beautifully for months when the humidity remained stable. One rain
storm, or the beginning of the evaporative cooling season, and all
harmony disappears).
Regards,
Fred Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico