Baroque Festival

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed Nov 3 08:42 MST 1999

Hi Fred,

>    On the subject of the whole high pitch phenomenon, regardless of how we
>feel about it, in terms of tuning stability, extra work, etc., it is a
>reality we must deal with.

   I agree but thankfully, I don't ordinarily have to deal with it here.
A few people asked about it when I first came but I was able to get 440
established as the pitch I wanted to use. No problems.

>If the
>orchestra musicians playing for the baroque festival are using the same
>instruments they use for other performances (and it's unlikely to be
>otherwise), the pitch needs to conform to the instruments.

   They are, as far as I know. And A-442 is the Houston Symphony pitch.

>    I hate it, but I live with it. Just did a piano at 443 for the Czech
>Philarmonic Chamber Orchestra a week ago. Then back to 440 a couple days
>later. The work isn't nearly as hard with an ETD, using the pitch change
>function.

   I agree. Another reason why I'm glad I now have one. :-) We had cooling
problems in our old recital hall for several weeks. Actually, it was TOO
cold. Got down to around 50-60 F. range a lot of the time. I found out
Monday that it has been corrected. I checked the two D's in there yesterday
and I'm going to have to do a pitch raise on both of them! :-(

>Regards,
>Fred S. Sturm, RPT
>University of New Mexico

>>   Some comments:
>>.
>>1. The triple _is_ going to be 3 harpsichords, not pianos.
>>2. Thankfully, the lights in our new building generate negligible
>>   heat on stage.

>Lucky you! I bet you don't even have enormous loading dock doors right next
>to the stage to let in those cold winter breezes. Oops, forgot. What cold
>winter breezes are there in Houston?

   Well, it actually got down to 32 F. last night but by the weekend it'll
be back up around 80 during the day. But actually, you're right.
   The huge stage doors open onto an interior hallway and directly across
from that are two huge doors opening into the scene shop and on the other
end of that are the two doors which can be used for loading in from the
two huge doors that open onto the outside "dock". Such as it is. :-)
(Sorry. Just a feeble attempt at humor.)
   The building isn't perfect, by any means but I guess I am lucky in a lot
of ways.

Avery
mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work

mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home