Further to Drifting Unisons

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Nov 5 07:27 MST 1999

Actually there is very little temperature variation in our music
building. Occasional temporary glitches in individual rooms, but
overall, remarkable stability. Humidity, on the other hand, can easily
vary by 20% from one day to the next, and gradually shifts during each
day. This is due to requirements for HVAC (heating, ventilation and air
conditioning) that require complete air exchanges in public buildings
every hour or so (I forget what the interval is, but it may be more than
once an hour).
	At any rate, my comments about unison drift in response to humidity
change are not based on any individual piano, but rather on observation
of many, many pianos over 15 years. I pay most attention to my
observations in the music department, as I have more knowledge of
intervening conditions there, and see the instruments more often. I also
have large numbers of individual models, and am able to observe patterns
that apply to a Baldwin Hamilton as opposed to a Yamaha U-1, for
example.
	But I see the same evidence in private homes to a lesser degree, and
certainly in churches, private schools, and other locales. Sometimes the
variations are relatively minor (more in the one to two cent range), and
by no means is there a complete consistency throughout the entire range
of all instruments, but there is definitely a consistency to finding the
right string (treble side) drifting farther than the left, if they don't
sometimes even go in opposite directions. And, as I wrote earlier, this
can happen to such an extreme degree that the difference is in excess of
20 cents. The extreme case seems to be mostly in octave seven, but
sometimes in octaves five and six.
	At some point, I hope to have the time to do more than mere off the
cuff observation, and chart pitch over an extended period of time on a
few instruments. I started to do that a while back, but I kept noticing
other things I wanted to keep an eye on, so I would need to add more
strings to read (initially, I was just looking at the variation across
breaks and the like).
	I'd sure be interested to know if anyone else has made observations
that come anywhere near tracking mine.
Regards,
Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico