Drifting Unisons

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun Nov 7 14:10 MST 1999

Ron,
	I agree we would have to account for the total "waste length" of every
string (whether toward tuning pin or hitch pin), and their relative
tensions, and the amount of friction involved, and bridge rise and roll,
to come to a complete analysis. I have certainly considered all these
factors in my musings while pitch raising/lowering for the ?thousandth
time.
	The puzzle for me is that uprights and grands both show the same
tendency for the right string to move most, whether to a large or small
degree. Hitch pin waste lengths vary, but typically not by much on any
given piano. Tuning pin waste lengths vary pretty consistently, so that
on all grands the right tuning pin's waste length is longest for the
unison, while on an upright the right is shortest. So why isn't the
pattern reversed for uprights?

Fred