Drifting Unisons

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun Nov 7 17:43 MST 1999

>...The puzzle for me is that uprights and grands both show the same
>>tendency for the right string to move most, whether to a large or small
>>degree...
>>Fred

Late entry for me on this.

I've noticed this so many times over the years, Fred, I just gave up trying
to understand the tendency.  Jim Coleman, Sr. has noticed it before as
well, and even wrote a short PT Journal item on it. (May 1994, page 12, Q &
A)

>...You got me there. I strip mute when tuning, and hadn't noticed the
>phenomenon...
>Ron N

I strip mute, Ron.  Doesn't interfere with noticing that one string of the
unison seems to be more out of tune with the center string than the other
when pulling the strip out to tune unisons.

I do hope I'm on the same page as you guys.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild