Damper "shooshing" noise

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue Nov 9 07:12 MST 1999

> bend the damper head so that the front and back of the damper did not contact the string at the same time

This will not work in the middle section because the damper
effectiveness is based upon both ends of the damper exerting the same
pressure on the string.

What does work is to trim the trichord felt so there is much less felt
left to "bow" the string.  I prefer to cut them in a "|/\|" shape, not
like "|_/\_|".  The flat surfaces of the ""_" " can hang up on the
strings so damping does not occur. |o\/o\/o|.

I use straight cuticle scissors that are very sharp and tilt them to
the inside of the trichord to produce a shorter damper with a nice
wedge effect to promote easy seating on the strings.

I usefully do this before I install new dampers but I will remove the
trichord damper set to trim them then replace them.

		Newton