1/4 tone piece

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue Nov 23 20:29 MST 1999

Hi, Dennis, and colleagues -

The 50-cent pitch lowering would result in a 6% overall reduction in tension.
 I should not think that would be enough to release the pressure on the plate
wedge - ordinarily.  Perhaps it was loose already.  Anyway, for anyone
concerned about the wedge's falling out, just tape it securely in place
before lowering pitch.  That's what we do to keep it from falling out during
stringing.  (Watch out that any tape left in the piano does not interfere
with the dampers, the sostenuto, or the hammers when shifted by the una
corda.)

  -    Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations