1/4 tone piece

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed Nov 24 08:46 MST 1999

You've often seen plate wedges, Keith. Perhaps you were just unaware they
had a name.

Many (most?) pianos have a plate wedge, or certainly a variation of the
theme. The description fits because of both the [typical] form and function
of the wedge. The wedge fits between the plate 'horn' and the belly rail,
right at the bass/tenor break. The need, as I understand it, is to
reinforce the area, thereby prevent undue stresses from building up at this
crossover juncture. Obviously, due to inconsistencies in plate/case
manufacture, no two pianos will have the same amount of gap at this
point... hence the "adjustable" utility of the wedge.

Some pianos have a large, adjustable bolt arrangement that are adjusted
with a wrench instead of a mallet/hammer. I've also seen hardwood shims
used in (lesser) products. Still lower-class pianos have screws running
directly into the belly rail from the plate horn. The technical term for
this method of installation is called "blind faith".

My best wedge experience involved a -new- Mason & Hamlin 'BB' or 'CC'
(forgot). The wedge had fallen out during shipping (layed up on the side).
The wedge was found on top of the keys. The resulting tuning was also quite
memorable. I decided to replace the wedge using a -long- drift through the
pitman hole, instead of further traumatizing the piano. The operation was a
success, but to this day, I've never heard such moans, groans, and grunts
coming out of a piano. (I did lower tension, but not enough to loose string
coil symmetry/integrity).

More than you wanted to know... sorry!

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC