Guidelines on the Web

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Sun Apr 16 08:37 MDT 2000

Donald R McKechnie <dmckech@ithaca.edu> wrote:

>The technical bulletins are in print as well as on the web. The
>Guidelines can be too. If I am going to use the Guidelines in my
>argument for another position, I want the published edition. It is a
>better presentation than copies from the web.

Don makes a very good point here.  Even if you were to download and print
the Guidelines off the web, you still just have 12 loose pages of document
without a cover or binding.  For less than the cost of doing it yourself,
purchasing the published edition makes a far more professional
presentation.   Buy a dozen, charge them to your institution's supply
budget, and distribute them to the entire piano faculty and administration.

If I may continue on my soapbox for a moment (slightly off-topic but
related to this discussion), the perception that PTG makes money selling
things to its members is for all practical purposes incorrect.   What
members are paying for is basically the professional publishing,
presentation and shipping/handling of the products -- things you'd have to
pay for anyway were you to do them yourself.  PTG technical bulletins cost
as little as .18 cents apiece; brochures .30 cents.  You can't even buy the
glossy paper they're printed on at Office Max for that price.

If you compare the income from PTG business aids and merchandise to the
expense of producing them you'll find very little net gain.  And once you
factor in storage costs, cataloging and staff time,  I suspect the price
members pay for PTG products doesn't even cover their true cost.

Rolf von Walthausen