new to list - inquiry

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Wed Aug 2 19:14 MDT 2000

Carol:

For piano performance majors there's no other choice.  At that level,
uprights just are not good enough.  They would never recruit even moderate
players with no grands to practice on. Some literature just can't be played
on an upright   We have about 30 uprights in practice rooms for the
violinists, singers etc., but 10 grands for the piano majors....and that's
not enough.  Of course everyone would love to have a grand, but I'm not
sure you can justify the cost for a kid to work out his theory homework.

dave

On 8/2/00 at 7:56 PM Carol R. Beigel wrote:

>Thank you very much, Scott and Dave.  I vaguely remember that guidelines
>existed, but I'm in such a panic I couldn't find them!  These are exactly
>what I was looking for!
>
>I went into this proposal "thing" telling the folks who hired me, that I
was
>only interested if both "they" and the "university" were going to set it
up
>right.  I didn't want to be part of anything that diminshed assets and
would
>be underbid from the start.  I just figured this was a good opportunity to
>offer the right kind of education to my clients, who after all, want to be
>educated on how to do this right!
>
>I want to stress maintenance, a parts budget, and technician time needed
for
>proper maintenance.  I'm also of the opinion, since the new practice rooms
>are not even designed yet, that it would be nice if some of them were
large
>enough to accomodate baby grand practice pianos.  It seems to me that no
>matter what quality of upright piano you subject to hard practice, the
pins
>eventually "walk" out the action.
>
>How do you guys feel about using  grands instead of uprights for practice
>pianos?
>
>Carol Beigel, RPT

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net