Dickson Data Logggers

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 15 14:40 MDT 2000

Great item! How many do you own?

John Minor
University of Illinois

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Ken Eschete wrote:

]Dear List,
]
]Our Keyboard Maintenance Dept has just started using two Dickson Data Logger's
](model Tp120) to chart the temperature and humidity levels in sensitive
]areas.  These are small electronic measuring devices, (the size of a
]pager), which take digital measurements of temperature and humidity every
]minute over a period of up to several weeks.  The information is downloaded
]using the provided software, and is displayed on the screen in the form of
]a chart.  Humidity from 0% to 95% is recorded with accuracy of 2%.
]Temperature from -40 to+176 tracked within 1.8 degrees.
]
]We have found many interesting uses for this method of gathering data:
]
]- We placed one on the concert stage and at the same time, placed the other
]one  off-stage where the piano is usually kept.  A comparison of the two
]charts showed that the conditions were close to being the same, belaying
]our fears about this.  We did, however discover that there was quite a
]large swing in humidity on one weekend.  Since we have the date and times
]this happened, we can ask Facilities Management to track down what
]happened, and try to prevent it from happening again.
]
]-  One of our professors had been complaining about the conditions in his
]studio for years, so we placed a data logger in his studio.  The chart
]produced the evidence that this was true, and Facilities Management was
]able to locate the problem.
]
]-  Charts of the organ loft in the chapel revealed a pattern of temperature
]changes during services (all those people).  This information is used to
]duplicate conditions during the tuning process.
]
]- Anytime we have had a problem proving to Facilities Management that we
]need  something fixed, this system has been our "smoking gun".
]
]The TP120 costs $159.  The software is for PC.  No Mac version available.
]More info and sample charts at www.dicksonweb.com.  Other models can be
]connected to the telephone line and will call you if things are going wrong!
]
]I would be interested to hear if anyone else is using a data logger system.
]
]
]Thanks,
]