D/C covers

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Aug 18 14:45 MDT 2000

I think the manufacturer of the string covers is looking at their
function primarily as keeping dust out and keeping strings rust-free,
which they do quite well. Seems, though, that as long as the cover is
suspended an adequate distance from the strings, retaining moisture
causing rusting wouldn't be a problem. Am I right in assuming these
covers are simply held up by the plate beams, and may sag to touch or
nearly touch strings?
	For purposes of humidity control, I'd think you would actually want to
hinder movement of moisture (equivalent of trapping it part of the
time), and if a DC system was installed, you might be able to assume
that whatever moisture "built up" would be wicked through from
underneath (a dangerous assumption maybe, but then, how much moisture
would build up? From what source? Maybe you can tell I live in a dry
climate here).
	Which makes me wonder about the vertical back cover system in
conjunction with the DC system installed in the back of certain pianos.
Am I wrong in remembering the back cover was developed originally just
for this application? Why doesn't moisture build up in this scenario (or
does it)?
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico