New pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Aug 28 07:35 MDT 2000

Ken Eschete gave a good overview. My experience is with Baldwins, but
quite similar. Expect to need to do "dealer prep": tighten screws, twist
a few shanks, seat/troubleshoot dampers, ease some keys, look for
squeaks/clicks/knocks, regulate to greater or lesser extent. And expect
to need to tune at least 50% more often, front loaded the beginning of
fall semester (when you're already running ragged). I would say a 50%
increase in service needs is probably a conservative ballpark figure.
Depends where the piano is placed, what the expectations are. Could go
as high as 100%.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico