Grand casters

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Wed Mar 8 20:21 MST 2000

Dear Mr. Sambell,

Thank you for your timely (for us) tip on the heavy duty Renner casters.
Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois has just completed the expansion and
remodeling of their music school and they have been looking for the right
caster/dolly solution for protecting the new recital hall stage floor.

I contacted Renner. Fortunately, they have three of these casters in
stock--just enough! Unfortunately, _each_ caster costs $394! They are solid
brass with locks on them. The tone advantage of having the piano grounded
directly to the stage floor, and the several advantages of not having the piano
on a dolly, cause us not to dismiss this option out of hand. For now, I'm sure
it's not in the budget, but you never know when an alum might feel generous.
Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY
For those on the list who may be interested, the new 55,000-square-foot
Perkinson Music Building acquired 41 new Steinway and Boston pianos in
December:
--seven Steinway Bs
--one Steinway L
--ten Boston GP178 grands (5' 10 1/2")