Hall/piano rental charges

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Thu Mar 9 11:16 MST 2000

John,
Here at Miami U., there is no charge for using the recital hall in
the Music Department.  If a group wants to use one of the other halls
on campus, I believe that there is a rental fee (there may be
exceptions for student groups).  Likewise, for use of the recital
hall piano, there is no fee - but I haven't had to do any special
tuning outside of the once a week schedule.

However, if any group outside the School of Fine Arts wants to have a
piano tuned for a specific occasion, the Music Department bills them
for the work and the money is deposited in the piano maintenance
account.  Similarly, if a group needs a piano moved somewhere, they
are charged a rental fee.

Usually there are just a few groups/teachers who use the recital hall
every year for performances.  I would say this use is 1% of the total
use of the instrument (there are a *lot* of performances/rehearsals,
and generally it is hard to get time in the recital hall - surprise!).

I hope this information helps you.  If you'd like more specifics, let me know.

Jon

>What do other universities charge for recital hall rental to the general
>public? How about tuning and piano usage? It seems to me that we are
>giving piano usage away for next to nothing! If I had more info I may
>attempt to get the administrators to look more closely at the issue.
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois

Jon Ralinovsky
Piano Technician