reaming pinblocks

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Sat Mar 11 13:21 MST 2000

I am restringing a 60's Yamaha G-3.  Someone previously re-pinned this
instrument with 3/0's!  That's a jump from .272" (originals) to 286"
(Denro's), you can imagine how it tunes!  The block is in (otherwise) fine
condition, it is fully fit (glued to stretcher), and at this point, I don't
plan on replacing it.

I haven't done much reaming, and would like advice from those of you who
have.  Information I would like includes:

Purchase reamers from who, (Pianotek)?

What size?  Ream to .004" less than pin diameter, or more?  (I will repin
with 4/0 Denro's)

Ream by hand presumeably?  Use what to hold the bit, guide the angle?

Advice on technique, do's and don'ts?

BTW, we may all know this, but just in case, Yamaha (and other makers) offer
up-size replacement tuning pins for the purpose of restringing.  There are
two (metric) sizes available between the originals and our standard 2/0
(.282").  They're more costly, but work very well.

Many thanks,
Mark Cramer
Brandon University

PS   Scott, the CAUT page looks great, Jim's "wisdom" is a real keeper.
Anyway you could add my name to the list?