reaming pinblocks

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 11 22:08 MST 2000

Hi Mark,
             Hand reaming with a .010 undersize drill in a good quality tap
wrench, gives about 140lb torque, and is very consistent.  You will need to
tighten the wrench in the vice to prevent the drill from slipping in the
wrench.A little tiring on the wrist and arms but well worth the effort. Do
a section and go for coffee type of job. <g>
Roger

At 02:41 PM 11/03/00 -0600, you wrote:

>I am restringing a 60's Yamaha G-3.  Someone previously re-pinned this
>instrument with 3/0's!  That's a jump from .272" (originals) to 286"
>(Denro's), you can imagine how it tunes!  The block is in (otherwise) fine
>condition, it is fully fit (glued to stretcher), and at this point, I don't
>plan on replacing it.
>
>I haven't done much reaming, and would like advice from those of you who
>have.  Information I would like includes:
>
>Purchase reamers from who, (Pianotek)?
>
>What size?  Ream to .004" less than pin diameter, or more?  (I will repin
>with 4/0 Denro's)
>
>Ream by hand presumeably?  Use what to hold the bit, guide the angle?
>
>Advice on technique, do's and don'ts?
>
>BTW, we may all know this, but just in case, Yamaha (and other makers) offer
>up-size replacement tuning pins for the purpose of restringing.  There are
>two (metric) sizes available between the originals and our standard 2/0
>(.282").  They're more costly, but work very well.
>
>Many thanks,
>Mark Cramer
>Brandon University
>
>PS   Scott, the CAUT page looks great, Jim's "wisdom" is a real keeper.
>Anyway you could add my name to the list?

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213
Fax 652-0505