Frame Cracked Twice, Engineering help?

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Tue Mar 21 05:34 MST 2000

OK, Guys, I need help

Hazleton Bros. 5'10"  Grand.  Neatly rebuilt, (by me).  Too little
downbearing in the treble, so I lowered it a bit.  (I've Done such things
before.)  Brought up the tension nice and evenly, installed dampers,
sounding good at A-440, ready for fine tuning.

During the Fine Tuning:   THWUNK !!  I couldn't see anything, so I played
a chromatic scale.  It climbed nicely until I passed the last strut, and
dropped a fourth.  Then I could see the crack, travelling toward the
Northeast, but holding near the edge of a circular sound hole.  I QUICKLY
dropped tension on that section, and then dropped the rest of the piano.

Fortunately this pinblock is only attached to the frame, and not to the
case, so I loosed everything, pulled out the frame with the block and
strings intact, and called a welder who assured me he could handle this.

Re-painted, reinstalled, strings back in place, tension up to A-440 and
holding.   Last Friday before bed I played a chromatic scale again, and
it wasn't chromatic. . . . . .  So I dropped the tension on the last
section and went to bed.

There's more to welding cast iron then I knew.  My welder did not heat
the plate, nor cool it slowly, as I hear is necessary.  And I've heard
from a far more skilled fellow, that this kind of welding is very much an
art.

Question:  What if I had a steel plate created, and with PC-7 between it
and the underside of the frame to give it strong frictional contact,
drilled, tapped and bolted  this plate in place below the cracked area.
It would be out of sight, and providing considerable strength for that
area.  Would this be sufficient to bear the tension and give us our whole
piano back?

Roger C. Hayden, RPT
Clarks Summit, PA
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!