Arlington Brochure on the Way!

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Tue Mar 21 09:56 MST 2000

Dear List

Good news! The convention brochure is on the way! Unfortunately the
following class descriptions were inadvertently omitted. My fault for not
paying attention. We will put this information in the April Journal, Leader
Letter, and other mailings from the Home Office. It is also available at the
website below. In case you were wondering, I did this to let you know I
wasn't perfect. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Here are the missing descriptions:

VOICING & CONCERT PREP CLASSES

(E) Abel Hammers: Felt - Manufacture - Resilience - Voicing - Wally
Brooks, RPT, Brooks, Ltd. and Norbert Abel, Helmut Abel, Gmbh
A thorough discussion and description of the manufacture of felt from
sheep to hammer felt.  You will also be shown in detail what happens
when felt is stretched and formed to bring resilience to a piano
hammer.  Working with and voicing the special felt used on Abel hammers
will be discussed and demonstrated.  Norbert is the manager of Helmut Abel
GMBH in Germany.  Wally Brooks is a noted technician and distributor of Abel
Hammers.

(IV) Concert Voicing - Norman Neblett, RPT, Los Angeles, CA Chapter
Hands-on demonstration by instructor.  Voicing techniques required,
bringing a grand piano to concert level.  Use of needles; sand files,
sanding strips and special tone regulating procedures applicable to demo
piano (no chemicals).  Instructor has over 40 years experience on
concert and recording stages.

(E) Controllable Steam Voicing - Roger Jolly, Calgary, AB Chapter
A quick, easy and controllable method to voice down very bright pianos.
Will include bass tenor breaks, problems and how it effects tuning.
Demonstration will include spectrum analyzer read outs to show partial
changes.

(I) Kawai EX Concert Preparation - Don Mannino, RPT, Kawai
Demonstration and discussion of Kawai EX concert piano preparation and
voicing.  The full process of piano preparation will be covered,
including string voicing, refining action performance to meet specific
pianist’s needs, plus hammer voicing techniques which build sustain,
power and clarity.  This is an advanced class, with knowledge of basic
voicing and regulation techniques being a prerequisite.

(EI) Voicing it to Death: Everything You Always Wanted to Do to a Hammer
- But Were Afraid to Do It - Randy Potter, RPT, Randy Potter School
One of the limitations in voicing for clients is that we must be careful
not to go too far.  But, just how far is too far?  This class will
demonstrate voicing, by voicing too far.  Randy will first demonstrate
"normal" processes of shaping. Polishing, poking and using Supertone.
We will listen to before and after results.  Then he will be taking the
hammers beyond their limit, and showing what happens if we overdo
everything; shape them incorrectly, poke them too much, give them six
baths of Supertone or put "softener" on them.

Best regards,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Institute Director, TEAM2000