Frame Cracked Twice, Engineering help?

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Tue Mar 21 19:32 MST 2000

Del,

You may be right.  I had simply taken a little material out of the
soundboard at each bolt and turned down the nose bolts a tad, because
there had been too little downbearing before.   I had failed to keep good
track of shim placement when I took the piano apart, and did not
'rediscover' them, neatly packaged and labeled, until after the plate was
down.   There were four 1/4 inch and less shims in the high treble under
that last section.

So I would guess that you would consider my crack caused by my torquing
the frame at the high treble.

The Crack begins near the last nosebolt, at a thin part of the frame
under and to the right of the strut. That strut houses the highest
nosebolt.  From there the crack heads to the upper right, ending about
four inches in.  You make me think that I have stressed the frame by
perhaps leaving the bolt too high, then leaving out the shims, forcing
the frame unnaturally.

Does this make sense?

Roger Hayden, RPT

PS, the owners were here last night, the husband said his wife had been
crying for four days.  HOOooboy.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.