CAUT Guidelines

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:33 MST 2000

Don:

I haven't consulted the guidelines for awhile, but off the top of my head I
wondered if there's a way to look at institutional service (or any piano service)
on the basis of the type of piano and hours of use.  The Steinway guidelines that
I have do that.  For example a Steinway D in a performance area requires "X"
number of hours of regulation and tuning in order to maintain it at top
performance level.   A studio piano is figured the same way and so on for every
type of piano a music department might have.

The reason I'm curious about approaching piano service from a yearly contractual
basis is that it seems that approach would serve a variety of needs not only
institutional but private.  Why is it, for example, that so few private
technicians only sell their work based on a tuning.  It seems there are very few
people out there who try to say to a customer that a charge per year for total
maintenace would be a specified amount.  The emphasis would be on total service,
not just tuning.  Perhaps the CAUT guidelines addresses this aspect of piano
maintenance.  It not, maybe it should be looked into.

Richard West
University of Nebraska