need ideas (more)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon Apr 9 21:57 MDT 2001

Susan, Mark, Greg, Jon, Newton, CAUT,

Some additional info:

These particular pianos roll quite easily with the existing casters, though
the idea of using a different dolly system would change the potential
'racking' (assuming this means twisting?) by the different location of the
wheels.

However, it just so happens there is a 1971 U1 in a classroom across the
hall that has been here since new and one I don't ever recall having this
type problem.

So, I decided to compare the structure of it against a 1998 U1 that does
exhibit this problem.  I came up with some interesting dimensional numbers
plus a potential cure for this tuning instability as a result of doing this.

Here's what I found:

1) The five back posts are not the same.
   	1971 U1  3  9/16" D x 2  5/8" W
	1998 U1  2  9/16" D x 2  5/8" W

2) The handhold devices in the rear for moving the piano are married
(joined) to the 2nd back post inward from the left and right back post on
the 1971 U1.  On the 1998 U1 that does not occur.

3) The 1998 U1 has what I guess is called a full perimeter plate.  The 1971
U1 does not.

4) The cabinet sides, front to back are 7/8" longer on the 1971 U1 and are
thicker by 1/8" more.

5) The feet of the 1971 U1 are 3/8" wider.

By my measurements, observations and extrapolating, there is definitely
less wood in the back posts, and feet, plus less support between the back
posts due to the different handles.  Maybe the full perimeter was an idea
that would compensate for this less wood, maybe not.

Anyhow, here's the potential cure which I am going to implement upon
approval from the Piano Chair.  I have used this following idea for sagging
shelves that had no support, so my thinking says why not for back posts
that have no support between themselves.

I'm going to take three pieces of hard rock maple 1' x 4" x 57 1/4", locate
them evenly spaced from top to bottom and join the five back posts
together.  I feel confident this will make a remarkable change in the
stability.

Still open to any other constructive ideas that someone might have, or ones
that someone has possibly implemented and had success.

Thank you all for being a sounding board  :-)

It is greatly appreciated!

Keith McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Baptist University
Saint Gregory's University