who's responsible???

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 10 10:38 MDT 2001

Michelle,

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday, and you have probably
gotten lots of posts by now, but here's my two cents worth. I have
gotten into this position more times than I care to admit with a
local chamber music group, run by a friend of mine, which makes it
even trickier! Anyway, my feeling is that the opera company is
responsible for paying you, since they engaged your services. If they
don't like it, they will learn to choose more carefully the locations
for their performances (i.e., places with decent pianos). If they
persist, you can request that they clarify with the home owner/venue
beforehand that the home owner/venue is responsible (financially) for
any and all tuning, repairs, voicing required. If they still persist
in asking you to do work that you feel will leave you holding the
bag, you can politely decline to do so until they establish a clear
policy for payment of your services. Ask me how I learned this!...

Mary