old Beckstein

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Apr 17 19:36 MDT 2001

At 09:40 AM 03/27/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone ever tried to modify the old rocker style capstan/whippen
>connection with short sticker to the modern capstan which would
>then accommodate new Renner replacement whippens?  I'm considering whether
>or not to accept such an action job on an old 1880's Beckstein Grand with
>that system, and not really sure I'm interested if I can't use all new
>parts. It would probably involve adding a small wood block on top the key
>to mount the new capstan, but ultimately the geometry should not be
>affected if done correctly, and would be much improved and more reliable
>with the modern capstan and parts. This is for a serious player who seems
>committed to the instrument. We already talked about putting the money
>toward something new and different.
>thanks,
>Dennis Johnson

I just finished a h/s/f replacement on an 1882 Bechstein.
The wippens were structurally sound and the rocker arms
were the only thing which added a little more time to the project.

Once they are set, they are pretty stable. Renner has an offset "Bechstein"
tool
to adjust these, I have one on order. A small offset ratchet screw driver
worked
in the mean time but the Bechstein tool will speed things up a bit.

The loss of the capstan/wippen cushion interface seems to produce
a lower friction component in the system.

The hammers had to be angled back quite a bit to hit the strings squarely
as their height was restricted by the pin block and rest rail 'window'.

Changing the parts has been done, when I ordered the shanks, Lloyd mentioned
that someone had just done a conversion on a Bechstein.

I would not replace, just for the sake of replacing. If the parts are not
serviceable,
then replace; otherwise it is a perfectly functional action. You might want
to consider
the tinsel strength of the repetition springs in your planning.

The case is a little shaky, so I advised them to maintain this piano for
chamber music
rather than pour money into it in hopes of getting a high performance
piano. The new
hammers/s/f will probably suit their purposes, they may opt for a new
sounding board.
Whatever their committee decides...

Rocker arm actions should not be considered overwhelming to your abilities,

Jon Page