removal of lacquer/keytop

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Apr 20 08:53 MDT 2001

Actually, I draped newspaper over the troughs to inhibit evaporation,
and the smell/inhalation was minimal. It IS in a public institution of
fairly recent vintage - rapid air exchange/replacement.
	The size/shape of the troughs minimized amount of solvent needed,
though I used more than a pint (less than a quart).
	The tonal improvement was immediate, obvious, and stunning. Remembering
these were true rocks, and there was nowhere to go but up. But just the
soaking made them sound like real felt hammers, and really quite nice. I
do need to do a thorough voicing job still, mostly for evenness, but
it's a good place to start from.
	Perk, now that'll turn the brain and neurologic system to mush in no
time flat. Acetone is nasty, but almost benign in comparison. Definitely
try to avoid breathing or more than incidental skin contact with either.
Regards,
Fred