removal of lacquer/keytop and shop vac danger

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat Apr 21 12:55 MDT 2001

Gee Ric, thank's so much for sharing!

Continue to follow your instincts on the ShopVac versus speed suck. The
brush/commutator area on some ShopVac motors look like sparklers on the
Fourth of July.

That's not a good reason not to buy one. In fact, you're way past due by a
number of years. To move the focus away from old dogs and sheep parts and
back to relevancy... ShopVac has discovered how to make their products CHEAPER!

If case someone missed the evolution (buy one, wear it out, buy another),
you wouldn't realize how much cheaper and NOISY the current vacs are. Due
to moves and having different requirements/shops, I've gone "through"
several ShopVacs. As I see it, the choices are:

- lose the dog;
- put the sheep on preventative measures;
- skip the ShopVac and go straight to built-in dust control (that can also
serve as central vac);
- buy a different brand of vac, preferably commercial instead of homeowner
quality;
- pay extra for the noise abatement models available through ShopVac/Sears,
etc.;
- and/or, invest in some shooter's type headphones to wear while using the
device.

At least the last two items should be considered requisite.

Finally, a refinishing environment would be the LAST place I would consider
using a ShopVac (hint: think exhaust). Conversely, practically any other
area/use is fair game and worthwhile... (bench/floor cleaning, after hammer
shaping (too noisy during), drill press, table saw, sander... the list goes
on and on.

Regards,
Jim Harvey