Concert

Ron Torrella rontorrella@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 23:15 MDT 2001

David Skolnik wrote:

> I disagree (respectfully, of course) with Richard Moody's contention that
> piano performance ability on a level that allows recital performance should
> be a job requirement.  While such ability clearly provides another avenue
> for personal expression, and can serve to inform the technician's process,
> not to mention facilitating communication between the technician and his
> constituency,  to suggest this as a requirement is to unequivocally imply
> that there is, necessarily, a correlation between pianistic ability and
> that of the technician. Equally inescapable is the implication that job
> cannot be successfully done without such performance ability.  (Besides,
> how overqualified to you have to be before salaries begin to become
> respectable?)  All that said, I definitely see it as an advantage and wish
> I did play, for all the above reasons.

I do not believe that every piano technician needs to be able to play the piano
at the level of someone who might play a recital, but I think we agree that
knowing how to play at least to a modest degree is beneficial.

> On Richard's other point, I too am curious about the embedded graphics in
> the email. I use Eudora, and had no problem.

So, it came through, then? I didn't think the list software allowed it. Guess I
thought wrong. (But, then, I'm not a computer whiz.)

> Ron, no one has yet asked.  Are you tuning for your own recital? If so,
> what temperment(s) are you planning to use? (just kidding on the last
> question).

I always aim for ET, but usually miss to some degree. So, I guess it'll be a
Relatively Equal Temperament. And, yes, I'll tune for myself.......I always do.
I've been working on this particular piano for roughly the last 5 years, so I
know it well. The voicing seems to need constant attention, though. Perhaps
because it's used as a rehearsal instrument (opera, musical theater and some
orchestra) almost every day. I've been staying on top of the voicing, though,
so it's right about where I like it. I did notice a few stand-outs, this
afternoon, that I'll clear up during my morning oblation.

> If your abilities are as boundless as they seem, perhaps you
> can post your program notes, as well as an objective after-concert review,
> both written by yourself, of course.  In the spirit of completely ignoring
> the extended discussion  of concert reviewers a while back (Greeley, et
> al),  I would allow my decision whether or not to purchase the CD to rest
> solely on such a document.  Finally, if you had given it a little more
> thought, you probably could have arranged an Internet broadcast.  Something
> to think about for next time.  Best wishes for an exciting
> performance.  Any truth to the rumor that you're primary reason for doing
> this is for the reception afterwards?

You betcha! I've been promised two "cakes" (I suspect that they'll be more than
your average cake....) by a friend who is a gourmet chef. One black and one
white -- keys on the piano. Clever. I'll have pictures.

Although I never got around to reading the review you refer to, I'd be happy to
provide my own review of the performance, but a good friend of mine always
comes out with one that's likely to be more objective than my own. As a sample
of his commentary, following is something he sent me after a performance
(mostly the same stuff on Friday's program), this past January ('twas on a
Sunday), at a now-mutual friend's house--on a Chickering that I rebuilt several
years ago. The performance on fortepiano, to which he refers, was in Nov. 2000:

"Your performance on Sunday was the best I've heard you play, with the possible
exception
of your recital in your early days at the Univ of Illinois.

"I presume that a bit of candor is welcome here.  Your performance at my house
was weak,
owing mostly, I think, to your lack of experience with the fortepiano.  Many of
your
accents were seriously overblown, and your various dramatic bits of timing
seemed
distinctly exaggerated--as if trying to make up for the thin and subtle sound
of the
instrument.  But you were a good sport to play.  And despite whatever the wrong
notes
(again, probably because you were overwhelming the action), it was plain that
you came
to the event with a better technical foundation than I did (as one observer as
much as
said to me).

"Getting to your modern instrument, you were definitely at home.  Timing,
technique, and
management of accents were all first rate.  And you're getting darned good at
covering
the inevitable memory hesitation.  Now, who wrote that last piece you played?
[Must've been
the _Malaguena_ by Lecuona. RT] If I have one criticism, it's that you allowed
your excitement
to conquer your accuracy, as there were enough wrong notes to compose a new
piece.  Still,
you seem very will suited to that piece, and I hope you will continue to refine
it.

"Mary [His wife. RT] said that she didn't know you were able to play so well.
She probably finally
believed what I have been telling her for years:  At our respective bests, you
are
clearly the better pianist.  (This causes me no consternation; your aspirations
were
always grander than mine, and you've surely logged thousands of practice hours
in excess
of mine.  Besides, I have my own strengths, and I do manage to keep up for the
most
part.)

"Sunday's performance would have impressed, and maybe surprised, Ralph
Votapek.  I wish
he were there.

"Maybe _now_ you would be up to reviving the _Mephisto Waltz_."

Votapek was a former teacher of mine with whom I parted company on
less-than-pleasant terms while I was a student at Michigan State.

As for webcasting the concert.....not a bad idea, but I don't think that
particular hall is set up (or the rest of the building, for that matter) to do
that. I'll check with the techies, though. It looks like I'll be doing a
reprise performance, in the fall, for recording purposes. (A competition I plan
to audition has a time limit on submitted recordings and I think an April
recording will fall outside of their limits.)
--
Ron Torrella