replace/rebuild

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Dec 4 20:56 MST 2001

I've just re-read technical bulletin #6 "Rebuilding/Reconditioning."

The comment I was looking for states "Rebuilding restores the piano to
original condition or better."

That comment, the prospect of actually restoring a piano to "BETTER THAN
ORIGINAL" really motivates me! I love rebuilding, and would not quickly
negotiate away the inherent satisfaction this facet of our trade provides.

At Brandon University, and the Banff Centre (if I may Denis?) we have chosen
to rebuild our quality instruments rather than replace with new. Our belief
(delusion, if you will) is that many of our older instruments may be of a
higher original quality than we can purchase new. Also, as another colleague
mentioned, we can rebuild at a fraction of replacement cost.

Rebuilding is a culture, that is, it's a philosphy that must be cultivated
and shared by the faculty, administration, technicians, (yes, bean counters
too), and ultimately appreciated by our students. As such, even cabinet
restoration becomes a source of pride, even though we out-source this part.

I guess I hadn't given the alternatives much thought, and appreciate the
discussion this thread has provoked, thanks Wim.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University