bars.

Thu Feb 1 12:27 MST 2001

Ed,

At 08:41 02/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>    Crumb has come to Vanderbilt, and the head of the music department is
>telling me that the plate strut needs to come out of one of the concert
>pianos, so the strings can be "strummed" for a student performance.

That gives an excellent opportunity to spread skin and hair oil all over
those strings, inviting later dust and rust.

>   This looks like some peril, and a lot of retuning.  I do know that one of
>these bars will not go back in unless the tension is dropped a WHOLE lot.

Not necessarily.  I have one D here which will rattle if I loosen the
screws.  i.e. - it ain't doin' a damned thing.

>Anybody got any info that will help me convince them it would be cheaper to
>move one of our B's in, instead of destabilizing the concert pianos?

What good will that do? They have those bars, too...  and strings just as
vulnerable to corrosion as the D's.  Will they spring for a restringing???

Good luck!
Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.