7/8 Keyboard, was Piano Horse

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sun Feb 4 13:59 MST 2001

Kent:

The keys are indeed laminated maple.  The material is obviously heavier
than sugar pine, but since the keys are narrower they don't seem to be
appreciably heavier.  I don't know what kind of difference the material
would make.  They are stronger than pine, and probably somewhat more
ridged.  As long as the key ratio is right it seems to play nicely.  The
narrower keys do need the additional strength of that material.  David did
a lot of research on the strength of materials before he chose the
laminated maple.

dave

On 2/4/01 at 2:10 PM Kent Swafford wrote:

>on 2/4/01 1:19 PM, David M. Porritt at dporritt@swbell.net wrote:
>
>> I'm quite impressed with the work he does.  He holds a patent on the way
he
>> compensates for the extreme key flair that becomes necessary to align
the
>> narrow keys with the full stack.  It works very well.
>
>I am under the impression that the keysticks in these keyboards are made
>from laminated maple. Is this so, and do you think the use of this
material
>instead of the more traditional softer wood makes a difference by itself?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kent Swafford

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net