Maintenance Schedule

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon Feb 5 09:38 MST 2001

> Computer data base should be kept on piano inventory, condition, history,
> repairs, scheduling for future work, etc.

Still on subject, I think. I recall variations of  the record-keeping
theme have been mentioned (only) here before. However, I've yet to
see a preferred method to accomplish this.

It's relatively easy to log names, serials, physical locations, etc.,
on just about any platform -- database, spreadsheet, or even a
word processor. These items, with the possible exception of
location, often remain static throughout the service life of a given
instrument. However, the service history tracking and verbal
recommendations would be in constant flux.

In short, I'm looking for suggestions on how to best accomplish an
on-going log, complete with service history and free-style notes.
This could in the form of a spreadsheet matrix or database field
headers, or any other method this group has found to be effective.

In my position as a subcontractor, I'm trying to present a
chronological accounting for "I told you so" purposes to
administration. In the past, I've predicted (and documented) that
[certain unit] is likely to fall below minimal service requirements
within [length of time]. When my suggestions go unheeded, and
someone says "Why didn't you tell us?", I want to have everything
about a particular piano all in one place.

Thanks for any ideas/considerations in this area.

Jim Harvey, RPT

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate