Baldwin regulation

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon Feb 5 18:49 MST 2001

Kent:

Thanks for the information.  I'm probably not as reluctant to call for
warranty help as you say you are. (My thinking is that the customer already
paid for the piano, so for this kind of work they shouldn't have to pay me
too.)  BUT, this piano is one loaned to us by Baldwin.  It's a little hard
to ask for warranty work when you haven't paid for the instrument.

I need it to play this weekend, so I'm going to have to just adjust the
dip, fix the crooked hammers, adjust the back checks, and a few other
things that are currently making the thing pretty unplayable.

Oh well, I guess that's why they pay us the little bucks.

dave

On 2/5/01 at 6:49 PM Kent Swafford wrote:

>Yup, it was me, among others. I have not solved the problem. The front
rail
>was bedded at the ends, flying in the middle. I had no choice but to raise
>the FR studs to "bed" the FR, and remove FR punchings to increase dip; I
am
>certain that I will pay for this on the flip side when the humidity comes
>back up. This particular piano is owned by a husband and wife, both piano
>grad students, not destitute by any means, but they sprung for a nice new
>Baldwin R that they thought would be a good piano for them to practice on
>for a few years. I am normally _very_ reluctant to approach manufacturers
>for warranty relief, but so far in this case, I see no reasonable
>alternative.
>
>Kent Swafford
>
>on 2/5/01 6:36 AM, David M. Porritt at dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu wrote:
>
>> A few days ago there was a question about a new Baldwin that suddenly
had the
>> regulation go south.  (Was that you Kent?)  I have the same thing here.
>> Baldwin SF10 that was delivered here in July, now the dip is VERY
shallow,
>> checking way off, front rail is warped up off the bed, but not enough to
have
>> caused the tremendous lack of dip.  What's happening???
>>
>> I've got to get this thing playing, but I hate to do major regulation on
it if
>> something is going to suddenly change again soon.
>>
>> HELP!
>>
>> dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net