Yamaha TP Bushings

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed Feb 14 13:36 MST 2001

On 13 Feb 2001, at 10:35, Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
> Does anyone happen to know which diameter and height I should
> get for a Yamaha G3E (1972)? I need to place an order for some
> things "before" I take the piano out of the room but I don't
> know the correct height for these.
>
> The bushings from Yamaha are solid and since this piano isn't
> getting a new pinblock, I'd rather use the pre-drilled type of
> pin bushing.
>
> Pianotek has 5 different heights for a 7/16" outer diameter,
> 1/4" hole and 4 heights for a 13/32" outer diameter, 1/4" hole.
>
> Maybe Bob would know but if any of you do, it would be a big
> help. Thanks.

Hi Avery,

If the bushings are anything like Kawai's, they're pre-drilled or
dimpled, not solid. In production this is an expedient to make the
subsequent drilling bit follow the dimpled area instead of wandering
or "skating". I rather like this method, since domestic bushings will
often snag at the moment of drill-through and start to spin.

I don't think this should cause any undue concerns with an existing
block, all other things considered. With either method, your angle
is either right or not. Besides, once you get to the existing holes,
the bit is going to follow anyway -- the bushing just follows the
program.

About the height, any guesses would be wrong, based on my track
record! Those same bad guesses have taught me to order a
quantity of ALL of them. HINT! <g>

Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate