Out of control

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed Feb 14 15:52 MST 2001

Hi Jim,

The string broke from metal fatigue.  You can bend a coat hanger five
times and it will break.  No matter that they are one after the other
or spaced two weeks apart.  Metal fatigue is metal fatigue and when it
reaches it's point it breaks.

If you have a major pull there well might be excessive friction which
doesn't help.

Once started they will go, one by one by one.

Tuning causes strings to break at the pin, back and forthing from
weather or trying to find that sweet spot.  Doesn't matter, fatigue is
fatigue.

Splicing the big wire is a royal beach.  I have spliced 28 gauge wire
but donut ask me how.  It is an emergency (performance an hour later)
so I had to do it.  On an S&S D and the pin with the shortest distance
to the agraffe.  Don't ask me how I did it, I just did.  Never again.

Splice or replace the string and tell the school to start counting
their pennies.  And tell them they are stupid to be penny wise and
pound foolish and tell them _I_ said so, for what that's worth.

> university will start crying the blues about hard times and budget restraints.

But they find money for flowers, athletics and paint.  Where the hell
are their priorities?

Darn, I just ran out of humility.

Fondly,

		Newton