Normally stretched treble sounds flat

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Feb 15 07:16 MST 2001

Now Jim,

Whatever do you mean? :-) Actually, even when I use my SAT III for
a concert tuning, I usually check my high and low octaves by doing
3, sometimes 4, octave arpeggios. On the slow side. I was a
musician long before I was a tuner, so I want those notes not to
sound flat (or sharp) to me as a musician, no matter what the "tests"
OR the machine tells me.

I've never experimented much with deliberately stretching my octaves
more than "normal" (whatever that is) but maybe I will after reading
John's post.

The one time when I REALLY wished I'd stretched more in the treble
was a tuning for Stephen Hough on the piece he'd had commissioned
for him. It had extreme jumps from low to high, sometimes notes wide
apart played together. If I'd heard the piece beforehand, I'd
definitely have stretched more, especially in the highest octave! Not
bad, but enough to bother me a little as a musician.

Avery (gotta go "stretch" some now)