Agraffe Pings (was Re: Out of control)

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 15 09:15 MST 2001

Hi Avery,
               Yes I have noticed the problem, since hand reaming with
"pianotech's'  agraffe reamer, the problem has gone away.
Looking at new agraffes with a magnifying glass, I noticed quite a few
machining ridges on the surface.
On old agraffes, I noted the holes were worn a little on the oval side.
With rebuilds it seems to take 2-3hrs to clean up the agraffes, but it is
worth the trouble.
Last year I did about 6 agraffes in the field on a Heinzman grand that had
some buzzy and pingy notes in the centre section. This had been a long
standing complaint with the client.
After removing the agraffes and reaming, put every thing back together with
new wire. What a change, clean tone and definitely an increase in power and
sustain.
We also spray them with a coat of protec before installation, It seems to
help rendering. But I may be fooling myself on that one.
Roger