psycho-acousti-what?

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri Feb 16 12:28 MST 2001

Hi Mark,
    To check hammer/string contact in the high treble of a vertical piano,
use a finger on the catcher(butt chech) to gently press the hammer to the
string. Make sure the damper has lifted.  Pluck the strings above the hammer
head with a little piece of piano wire.
    Level the strings by pushing toward the plate and/or file the hammer to
fit.
    Glue a 1/8 inch strip of emery cloth down the center inside of a half
round section of 2 inch diameter PVC pipe sliced a little wider than the
width of a hammer. The PVC fits easily over the hammerhead with the action
in the piano. You can align it to file away a little of the left, center or
right string cuts as needed.
    Please tell us if string leveling solves the problem.
    Ed Sutton