storage shed help

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Feb 16 15:06 MST 2001

I've got a couple storage sheds in large classrooms/rehearsal halls, for
a B and an M. They are just a foot or so higher than the piano, so music
stands/choral risers/etc can be stored on top (no problem. Strong enough
they won't fall through, and efficient use of space). The pianos are on
dollies. On the floor, securely fastened down, are guides for the rear
leg - 4 x 4 or 6 x 6, rounded at the front end, with sheet metal along
the inner edge. They're at an angle, about 2 1/2 feet at the front
tapering to 8 inches at the back, with a stop at the back. They start
about 1 1/2 feet from the door, so they easily catch the back leg to
guide it in. ALso there are similar guides for the front legs, but only
along the outside of each. (If this isn't clear enough, email me
privately, and I'll try to be more specific). Carpeted bumpers along the
door edges are a must, in addition.
	I'd be leery about climate controlling a shed unless it matches climate
control in the hall. Take a nicely climate controlled piano at 42%, put
it under lights in a hall at 15%, and you've got what might most
tactfully be described as an unstable situation. Unless the piano is
going to be moved out instantly before performance, and moved back
instantly after (very unlikely, in my experience, but possible), I'd
avoid it. Better to go with the flow of the seasons, IMHO. If you are
installing a system on the piano, use the double bucket model, and tell
everyone it will ruin the piano if not kept plugged in at all times, and
kept watered. Here, it's your call whether the situation seems to be
right - mainly, whether staff are reliable, and whether you're there
enough to make certain things are under control.
	Hope this helps. Welcome to the club!

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico