any new fix for an old problem

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee@humboldt1.com
Sat Feb 24 12:54 MST 2001

Paul,

Wurlitzer in the '60's used mineral oil to "moisture protect" their pianos
going to high humidity areas. They cautioned that if easing was required, it
should be done before the oil was applied because the oil would be a berrier
to alchohol and water preventing the shrinking action of the alchohol/water.

If oil is present in the center and shrinking is necessary, the oil must be
removed by some means. Naphtha or any solvent for oil can be applied but the
mixture will not evaporate on its own; it just be wiped off as it bubbles to
the surface. Oil applied to an action before it functions properly may cause
the necessity of replacing the affected centers.

Dan Gurnee, RPT, retired HSU, CA