Kissin Review

David Ilvedson, RPT ilvey@jps.net
Tue Jan 9 18:43 MST 2001

List,

I have a set of new Steinway hammers I am in the midst of working with.  My
problem is with the filing.  I had expected to square up the remove a little
felt before juicing...I started with 220 strips and immediately the felt
began to want to layer very roughly.  The layers seem to want to go much
deeper than my experience.  They look awful on the few that I have
started...I consider myself to be very good and hammer filing but this set
of hammers is acting very strangely.  Old Steinway hammers are a dream to
file as the layers were thin and came off as expected.  These layers seem to
want to come off in thick layers...weird!  Got any ideas?
David I.