Bechstein Concert grand

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Jun 12 05:57 MDT 2001

At 09:51 PM 06/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>  Hi all- I take care of the pianos at an institution which is receiving as a
>gift a 1929 Bechstein 8'9" concert grand, Model E. Anyone ever work on one
>of these? It has a rocker action, which actually plays very well. The open
>pinblock is  visibly cracked. but tunable, and the tone still sings, though
>there is minimal crown, Case and ivory is good to excellent. Any thoughts?
>Anybody dying to own such an instrument?
>---
>David Graham <dcgrpt@earthlink.net>

I installed a set of hammers on an old 7'er a few months ago. I(t cmae out
very nice,
although I had to angle the hammers back considerably to get them to hit
the string squarely.
I recently found out that Abel has pear molding for these is you want (I
used their standard molding).

However, the first thing you need to do is to get the Bechstein offset
screw driver.
It is in the Renner (Germany) catalogue #1793 - Winkelschraubenzieher,
vernickelt 4 Klingen unter verschiedensen Winkeln.
It makes quick work of adjusting those rocker arms.  (Ask Lloyd to order a
few with his next overseas order).

Once you get used to rocker arms, they are not as dreadful as they look.
They produce a lower friction than their
capstan counterpart and are quite stable.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net