Fortepiano Info

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Mar 7 09:12 MST 2001

--- You wrote:
List,

Was just wondering if any of you have to service/maintain a Fortepiano
at your school.

I received a call yesterday from a faculty member that said there may
be money to buy one, he's forming a committee and wondered what I
thought about it and if I'd be willing to serve on that committee. Of
course, I said yes.

My question(s):

1. Is there much difference in the maintenance and regulation of these
instruments compared to the modern grand?

2. What about the tuning? Stability, pitch level, etc.

3. Is there someplace I can get information about all this?

4. What are good brands/sources?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avery

P.S. Just what I need. Another instrument to maintain. :-)

------------

Avery,

We just acquired our first fortepiano last year here at Dartmouth, so I can
relate very well to your query. It is a Walter, about ten years old, made by Ron
Regier in Freeport, ME.

Fortunately for me, there has not been a great demand for the instrument, which
leaves me plenty of time to get used to it. Get ready for a labor-intensive
instrument compared to a piano. It requires much more tuning and more
frequently. There will undoubtedly be requests for the use of historical
temperaments, which I am frankly unprepared for. The action is fascinating,
quite different, and very delicate, requiring lots of finnicky attention.
Humidity control will be extremely important.

If the instrument proves popular at your school, you will have increased your
workload substantially, in my opinion. Please keep this in mind, and perhaps in
the minds of your administrators.

An excellent reference is the Fortepiano Maintenance Handbook by Margaret Hood,
available direct from the author: 580 West Cedar St, Platteville, WI (608)
348-6410, <hood@uwplatt.edu>. This is probably the only maintenance book of its
kind available.

Regards,
Danny Dover